Thursday, 21st February, 2013
Producing the masters for the rubber tyres has been troublesome, not least because it is yet another job where I have had to feel my...
Friday, 19th October, 2012
The canopy frame is not a straightforward piece. It took careful study of the NAA drawings before I was able to understand the complexities of...
Tuesday, 2nd October, 2012
By mid-summer of 2012 the bulk of the work on my P51-D had been completed, yet several hurdles remained, one of which was the sliding...
Thursday, 20th September, 2012
As any P-51D fan knows, the AN 3150 battery and the bulky SCR-522 VHF radio are prominent features within the streamlined, tear-shaped cockpit canopy. Both...
Monday, 7th May, 2012
The Hamilton Standard airscrew as fitted to the P-51D is uncompromisingly businesslike, a great paddle-bladed affair that speaks more of brute power than elegance, especially...
Sunday, 6th May, 2012
During an exceptionally cold, wet April of 2012, I resolved to tackle the pilot’s seat, a job I had toyed with and repeatedly put off...
Sunday, 15th January, 2012
Anyone who has followed this log may have noted that, while much of my work is done in metal, I am not afraid to make...
Saturday, 14th January, 2012
With the completion of the main landing wheels last October, my P-51 project has come to a standstill. Over the last few months I have...
Tuesday, 1st November, 2011
The Mustang’s wheels have been problematical. For most of this year I scoured all known avenues for manufacturer’s drawings, but to no avail. My entreaties...
Tuesday, 6th September, 2011
With most of the painting complete, I have recently added some, although not all of the external stencilling detail, using the Hendon P51-D as my...
Stories 21 to 30 of 44
- Retrospective: The flaps
- Retrospective: The elevators
- Retrospective: Rudder framework
- Retrospective: Outer doors
- Retrospective: Main doors
- Retrospective: Wheelbay fittings
- Retrospective: Wheelbay structure
- Retrospective: Wheelbay basics
- Retrospective: More switch panels
- Retrospective: Switch panel detail
- Retrospective: Handles and levers
- Retrospective: Control quadrant
- Retrospective: Cockpit floor
- Departure Day
- Retrospective: Rudder pedals
- Retrospective: Fuselage frames
- Retrospective: Tail wheel strut
- Retrospective: Main landing gear
- Retrospective: The chin scoop
- An end in sight
- The Mustang's tyres
- Canopy framework
- The vac-formed canopy
- VHF and battery packs
- Hamilton Standard airscrew
- The pilot's seat
- Control column assembly
- Retrospective: Auxiliary fuel tank
- Machining the wheels
- Some external stencils
- Stars and bars
- Warpaint - the first coats
- Cockpit update
- Spinning the spinner
- Rudder fabric
- Assembling the fin and tailplane
- Grappling with gremlins
- A pause to look back
- Wing root fairings
- Wings and fuselage united
- Instrument panel complete
- Gun port blisters
- A tipping point
- Welcome to my P-51 diary