Saturday, 7th December, 2013
In my last blog I looked back on the construction and fitting of the engine control quadrant. Also prominent inside the cockpit are what the...
Wednesday, 4th December, 2013
In posting these pictures of the Mustang’s throttle quadrant, I propose more to show what was involved in its construction than to go into detail...
Thursday, 26th September, 2013
Unlike the Spitfire, the P-51D has a cockpit floor. It extends from the engine firewall, aft under the pilot’s seat to the bulkhead that forms...
Saturday, 7th September, 2013
So ends another chapter... My P-51D departed from Whaddon on the morning of September 3, 2013 on the 150-mile journey to the Royal Air Force...
Sunday, 7th July, 2013
In this series of retrospectives, I look back at some elements of the model that were either omitted from this diary or undertaken before it...
Tuesday, 2nd July, 2013
Way back at the conception of this project, I sourced a number of P-51D manufacturing drawings from the Smithsonian in Washington DC. Among them were...
Thursday, 28th February, 2013
The P-51’s tail wheel assembly, which incorporates the aircraft’s steering mechanism, is a complex item to model. Most of it is hidden deep within the...
Thursday, 28th February, 2013
I designed the landing gear of my P-51D to be strong, a wise precaution given the model’s inexorable increase in weight as it progressed through...
Wednesday, 27th February, 2013
The P51’s chin scoop is one of the trickier parts of the airframe to model, but fortunately its subtle curves are captured in NAA cross...
Monday, 25th February, 2013
With the fitting of the dummy tyres in February 2013, my model is almost complete. There remain minor finishing touches, including a few additional stencils...
Stories 11 to 20 of 44
- Retrospective: The flaps
- Retrospective: The elevators
- Retrospective: Rudder framework
- Retrospective: Outer doors
- Retrospective: Main doors
- Retrospective: Wheelbay fittings
- Retrospective: Wheelbay structure
- Retrospective: Wheelbay basics
- Retrospective: More switch panels
- Retrospective: Switch panel detail
- Retrospective: Handles and levers
- Retrospective: Control quadrant
- Retrospective: Cockpit floor
- Departure Day
- Retrospective: Rudder pedals
- Retrospective: Fuselage frames
- Retrospective: Tail wheel strut
- Retrospective: Main landing gear
- Retrospective: The chin scoop
- An end in sight
- The Mustang's tyres
- Canopy framework
- The vac-formed canopy
- VHF and battery packs
- Hamilton Standard airscrew
- The pilot's seat
- Control column assembly
- Retrospective: Auxiliary fuel tank
- Machining the wheels
- Some external stencils
- Stars and bars
- Warpaint - the first coats
- Cockpit update
- Spinning the spinner
- Rudder fabric
- Assembling the fin and tailplane
- Grappling with gremlins
- A pause to look back
- Wing root fairings
- Wings and fuselage united
- Instrument panel complete
- Gun port blisters
- A tipping point
- Welcome to my P-51 diary